women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Home

When I think of home
I think of a place where there's love overflowing
I wish I was home
I wish I was back there with the things I been knowing

Wind that makes the tall trees bend into leaning
Suddenly the snowflakes that fall have a meaning
Sprinklin' the scene, makes it all clean

Maybe there's a chance for me to go back there
Now that I have some direction
It would sure be nice to be back home
Where there's love and affection
And just maybe I can convince time to slow up
Giving me enough time in my life to grow up
Time be my friend, let me start again

Suddenly my world has changed it's face
But I still know where I'm going
I have had my mind spun around in space
And yet I've watched it growing

If you're list'ning God
Please don't make it hard to know
If we should believe in the things that we see
Tell us, should we run away
Should we try and stay
Or would it be better just to let things be?

Living here, in this brand new world
Might be a fantasy
But it taught me to love
So it's real, real to me

And I've learned
That we must look inside our hearts
To find a world full of love
Like yours
Like me

Like home...

- The Wiz

This song has been running through my head for over 24 hours now. I don't believe in coincidence. I believe in "way opening".

I am so fortunate to have a loving home in which to ply my craft. It is filled with good things like my cat, my laptop, my grandson, my husband, my inspiration, and, through the miracle of the internet, my friends.

I have food to eat, clean water to drink, a soft pillow on which to lay my head at night. A peaceful & quiet space in which to work on the things I love.

In Japan, many are without even the most basic of needs.

Through the good graces of my In Dreams knitters (that means YOU) I was able to send off another check to Doctors Without Borders yesterday. It feels a little like spitting into the wind, but if we all do our part, we CAN make a difference.

I will donate 10% of all sales this next week to the Japanese relief effort. I call on others within the knitting & crafting community to do likewise. We are so fortunate. We have so much.

I will also be giving away a free pattern to one customer each day, randomly selected.

And one lucky person will get the entire Lord of the Rings Collection (all 3 years) for free.

I encourage you to give to the charity of your choice, whether that be the Red Cross, Knitters (Drs) Without Borders, Save the Children, or another.

Several organizations are helping victims of the Japanese quake. Here's how you can help:
  • Using your cell phone, you can text-message donations of $10 to the Red Cross. Text the letters REDCROSS to 90999 to make the $10 donation, or visit the organization's website.
  • The International Medical Corps is putting together relief teams, as well as supplies. The organization is in "contact with partners in Japan and other affected countries to assess needs and coordinate our activities,” said Nancy Aossey, IMC president, on its website. You can donate here. Or, you can text MED to 80888 to donate $10 to emergency relief efforts.
  • Save the Children is accepting donations for its Children's Emergency Fund. "We are extremely concerned for the welfare of children and their families who have been affected by the disaster. We stand ready to meet the needs of children who are always the most vulnerable in a disaster,' said Eiichi Sadamatsu of the organization in a statement. You can also text “JAPAN” or “TSUNAMI” to 20222 to donate $10.
  • GlobalGiving, based in Washington, D.C., is providing relief and emergency services to victims of the earthquake and tsunami. Text JAPAN to 50555 to donate $10.
  • The Salvation Army, which has had a presence in Japan since 1895. In Tokyo, the Salvation Army "opened its main building to help shelter commuters who were unable to reach home. They served hot drinks and packed meals," said a spokesperson. You can text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 to make a $10 donation to the Salvation Army’s relief efforts.
  • Mercy Corps is "accepting donations to help survivors of Japan's earthquake and tsunami through our longstanding partner, Peace Winds Japan." Donations will go to meeting the "immediate and longer-term needs of the survivors," a spokesperson said. You can text “MERCY” to 25383 to donate $10.
  • World Vision, with a staff of 75 in Japan, focuses its relief efforts on children. Visit the website to donate, or call 1-888-56-CHILD (1-888-562-4453). You can text “4JAPAN” or “4TSUNAMI” to 20222 to donate $10.
  • American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, a humanitarian assistance organization that also helped in Haiti and in countries affected by the Indian Ocean tsunami. The relief group "worked in Japan before the American entrance into World War II when the organization helped support Jewish refugees — including renowned religious leaders and yeshiva scholars — in Kobe, Japan who fled Hitler’s Europe. Today, several thousand Jews live and work in Japan." Phone: (212) 687-6200.
  • Adventist Development and Relief Agency can be reached at (800) 424-2372, or text the word SUPPORT to 85944 to make a donation.
  • The mGive Foundation, which helps with mobile donations, said these groups are also accepting text-based donations: Convoy of Hope, text TSUNAMI to 50555 to donate $10; World Relief Corp. of National Association of Evangelicals, text WAVE to 50555 to donate $10. "When prompted, mobile donors should reply with YES to confirm a one-time gift," the foundation says. "The $10 one-time donation will appear on the donor’s next mobile bill. All donations are tax deductible and receipts may be printed" from the mGive site. "Message and data rates may apply."
  • Facebook has a Disaster Relief page with lots of good information about organizations that are offering aid, and that you can help, in turn.
  • Habitat for Humanity; donations accepted at website, or phone donations can be made by calling 1-800-HABITAT.
  • The U.S. Fund for UNICEF is raising funds to help children in Japan. Donations accepted at website, or by calling 1-800-367-5437.
  • AmeriCares has dispatched a disaster relief expert to the region to assess the health care needs and is prepared to send medicines, medical supplies and humanitarian aid as necessary. Phone number for donations: 203-658-9500.
  • International Rescue Committee, based in New York; Phone donations to: 1-877-733-8433. The organization is "dispatching IRC relief experts from our Thailand program to Japan to see how we can assist Japanese authorities in responding to the earthquake/tsunami disaster. We recognize Japan’s significant emergency response expertise, but will offer direct technical assistance and other emergency support."
  • Microsoft has a Disaster Response Effort underway. "We are taking a number of steps, including ensuring the safety of our employees and their families and proactively offering customers, partners and local response agencies technical support to help ensure business continuity," the company said. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

The world indeed changed this week. It falls to us to look inside our hearts...

To show the people of Japan a world of love...

Like ours...

Like home...

6 comments:

Knittin Missy said...

Susan, you hit the nail on the head about being thankful for what you have. I admire your insight, love your designs, and appreciate that you make donations to such great organizations and causes from your profits. It is good to know that a person can buy something and help others at the same time.

Lillie said...

Thank you for doing this. As one who has friends located all over Japan, knowing that people are willing to help means an incredible amount. We sometimes forget that even an industrialized country can suffer this sort of tragedy, and that they need our help as much as any other. Again, thank you.

Andrea said...

We are indeed very fortunate. It is so important to help in any way we can. Thanks for you contribution.

MIB said...

I'm in--I've been wanted to knit Strider, anyway (even though I'm not done with Rivendell, yet).

Sirocco9932 said...

This post is inspiring and so true. Thank you for doing this. I was planning to order dragonfly pattern anyway after reading this I did.

Seanora

Lisa said...

Thank you for the donation info. I've been having a lot of good fortune lately (I've decided that this is The Year of Lisa), so I want to give something to help the people who have lost so much.