women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Galadriel's Mirror



An Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo
ve fanyar máryat Elentári ortanë
ar ilyë tier undulávë lumbulë;
ar sindanóriello caita mornië

For now the Kindler, Varda, the Queen of the Stars, from Mount Everwhite has uplifted her hands like clouds, and all paths are drowned deep in shadow; and out of a grey country darkness lies



Well, this one has been a long time coming, hasn't she? I just hope she was worth the wait!

This pattern is not included in the Fellowship of the Ring subscription as I found the right pattern after putting the collection up for sale. Subscribers will get a $2 discount code, just as they did with Rivindell & Goldberry.

GALADRIEL’S MIRROR $8


THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING COLLECTION
from the needles of Susan Pandorf


Size: 70 inches wide at top; 32 inches long at center
Materials: 3 skeins String Theory Blue Stocking

(color: Alexandrite) or 1260 yds fingering weight yarn
size 4 (US) circular needles or to obtain gauge
medium crochet hook (for edging)
Gauge (blocked): 6 st = 1 inch
charted pattern - experienced level

A symmetrical (mirrored) smocked pattern composed of twisted stitches and bobbles is reminiscent of Elvish runes. This central pattern opens up into an intricate section of diamonds & leaves, before the lacy border repeats the runic pattern in openwork. this border increases in number of stitches, giving the shawl its lovely ruffled lower edge.

The pattern is charted, due to its complexity, but written directions will be available upon request. Caveat emptor: they go on for many pages

I recommend using a fingering weight yarn rather than laceweight, as this will best show off the textured nature of the stitch pattern. It also provides a little extra warmth for the chill winter winds we all know are coming.

I used String Theory's Bluestocking - a lovely BFL blend in Alexandrite. I love how the other colors shimmer within the blue just like visions under the surface of Galadriel's mirror. This pattern is best suited to a shaded solid yarn. Another good option would be Dream in Color. They have many wonderful blue options. Just try to stay away from anything too variegated as you want the pattern to shine through.

I hope you enjoy the pattern. I have wanted to do a pattern based upon this concept form the very beginning of the conception of the series. It is such a beautiful, mystical scene, yet one that holds such power as well. We do not always see what we want, when we gaze into our futures. We often see challenges, as Frodo did.

What will you see, when gazing into Galadriel's mirror?

May the blessings to come and the promise of future joys outweigh the challenges and sorrows sure to be there as well...

9 comments:

Ebonraven said...

Oh yay!!! I got the email and the first thing I had to do is come over and grab the pattern (just in case, you know.) I have wanted this one since you posted teasers of it and I wanted it almost as much as the Legolas kerchief!

I will actually be casting on Legolas here soon. I just have to finish spinning the yarn first. :D

Donna Lee said...

I love this. It just may be a christmas gift to myself.

Unknown said...

I feel I have been guided to this site! So many to be inspired by, and so hard to choose. Obviously, I should just get them all, and keep the indecision for provate moments looking at my stash ...

Cimorine said...

Oh my goodness! you are brilliant!

jossroll said...

Hello, I'm on my finish rows on Galadriel's mirror. But got short with the yarn, six rows left + bind off. I got String Theory like you did. Did your testers get short? Ordered another skein and I'm glad to get the same dye lot. So count 4 skeins in strimg theory.
jossroll

Susan Pandorf said...

no, but I took it right to the end of the skein

Melinda Tai said...

Hi Susan,
I like to purchase your pattern, Galadriel's Mirror with written instructions. How do I do that. My ravelry account is waldoknit. I was at Stitches West yesterday, and there were so much Oooh, and Aaah for the shawl.
Thanks Melinda Tai

stitchmax said...

Stitchmax, An Enhanced Mirroring of Alternate Motifs Software That Comes with High Productivity and All Advanced Feature of Machine Embroidery Designing. It Has Very Unique And Exclusive Features For Stitch Effects, Drawing Methods, Automated Punching And Decorative Tools Which Are Specially Customized For Professional Designers, Industry Owners, Training Institutes, Embroidery Shops, And Apparel Designers.

KUMUD VERMA said...

Your Patterns are beautiful. I am interested in Galadriel’s Mirror pattern. But I need a written version, since I do not know how to read chart. I am willing to buy the pattern, if it is in written way. Please advise if this is possible. Thanks.

Kumud Verma
586-566-1783
kverma7948@yahoo.com