women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Taliesin

I shall be until the day of doom on the face of the earth;
And it is not known if my body is flesh or fish.
Then I was for nine months
In the womb of the hag Caridwen;
I was originally little Gwion,
And at length I am Taliesin.

from the "Hanes Taliesin"

TALIESIN SCARF
a magical shapeshifter for multicolored yarn
$4


MATERIALS
Fingering: 800 yds / Sport: 700 yds / DK: 600 yds / Worsted: 500 yds.
(estimation only – yardage will vary depending upon your preference as to gauge)
Size 7 up to size 11 (US) needles, depending upon individual preference


I have designed a 60 inch long scarf with buttons on one end. You can wear it many different ways, You can wear it open like a traditional scarf, or looped like an infinity scarf. You can wind it twice around and wear it like a cowl. Try the buttons in the front or in the back.
And it’s reversible.


One side displays a rounded fluted rib, while the other looks like a deep twisted stitch rib on a purled background. It doesn’t curl, needs no blocking, and does a wonderful job of blending multicolored yarn with no pooling.

It’s easy. Two row, 4 stitch repeat. Knit, purl, & slip.

You could do this piece in any weight from fingering to worsted. Just do a swatch, measure your gauge, run your figures and go from there.


Have fun with it! I know I did. I can't wait to make another one!

I'll get modeled shots up as soon as I can get one of my darling DIL/GIL's to model...

9 comments:

Sandra La Knitalian said...

oooOOOOoo~that turned out BEAUTIFUL! I love Abalone color and the buttons are PURrrrrrrrrrfect!
Hi-5, 6 and 10 even!!!

ya hey 'dere!
Sandra

Unknown said...

I have the perfect yarn for this scarf from one of your stash sales, thanks
kathy

Brenda said...

Oh that is gorgeous! one of my very favorite patterns of yours, and there are many lovely ones.

Suz B said...

I look forward to seeing this one on a model!! Lovely stitches.

Suz B

DawnMarie said...

Oh Susan this is gorgeous, so warm and cosy looking. Hope you are having a lovely time at your holiday home. Wishing you all the best and 'lang mae yer lum reek' for the New Year. Hugs Dawn Marie.xx

Eenae said...

I'm totally enjoying test knitting the scarf and highly recommend the pattern to anyone who has that special skein of yarn they want to show off. Where did you get your buttons? I'm still searching for the perfect ones to put on it.

LaceLady said...

I'm enjoying test-knitting this lovely! Really an innovative pattern, and shows off the multi-colours of the yarn. I think it will become one of my "go-to" projects - the kind one knits on the train, planes, and waiting rooms.

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting Taliesin too, in a beautiful purple Alpaca with a Twist called 'purple mystery'. It is knitting up so nicely and I really like that it looks so wonderful on both sides. I will be posting in my projects on ravelry as soon as I get a free minute...possibly Sunday. Thanks, Sisan for the great pattern!
janet
(clarbineds on rav)

Christina said...

This is such a beautiful stitch pattern! I'll have to show my (fiber artist too) sister also... my nephews name is Taliesin!