women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Dwarrowdelf






“Then the halls sang with glory and gold- now they whisper with darkness and death.
Then the mines were places of mirth and merriment - now they are places of destruction and decay.
Read my words, traveler, and despair”

- from "Seen in the Halls of Dwarrowdelf" by Aruthir





DWARROWDELF STOLE
$8


MEASUREMENTS
72 in long by 22 in wide
MATERIALS
1100 – 1200 yds. fingering weight yarn
Sample knit with Madelinetosh Sock, color: Thicket
size 3(US) needles
GAUGE
6 stitches = 1 inch (unblocked)


The yarn is Madelinetosh sock in Thicket, a lovely dusky, earthy eggplant type color. I looked at black & charcoal, but it was too stark. Dwarrowdelf isn’t an evil place. Yes, the Balrog lives there, yes, it has been overrun by cave trolls. But is was once the great hall of the Dwarven Kings of Old. It has been forgotten & neglected.




I think this color perfectly captures the essence of that feeling - faded out to a dusty echo of what was once royal purple.

The stole is knit in an interesting fashion. A back strip is knit in two pieces & grafted at center to form a pattern like this: <<<>>>. then the ends are knit down from the sides of that strip. turning the pattern upside down results in a repeating arched pattern reminiscent of the great hall itself.

Stole is finished at the bottom edges with an openwork pattern representing the Misty Mountains.

I will get better pictures tomorrow, including ones of the back panel. My camera batteries are dead and I didn't want to delay the release of this long awaited pattern any further.

Pattern is available individually both here on the sidebar & on RAVELRY

OR... as part of the $45 subscription, for which I have had so many requests in the past two weeks that I am re-opening it by popular demand. That button is also on the sidebar and if you click on the picture it will take you to the post that outlines all the patterns you receive with this subscription.

If you have already subscribed & confirmed your subscription with my email server, AWeber, you should have already received an email with the code to download your pattern free of charge.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad it's out! I'm a subscriber, and I haven't gotten an email link, so whom do I contact?

Natalie K.
aka The Fat Lady

LaceLady said...

Love Love LOVE this - can hardly wait for yarn to come! Love the descriptions as well!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh ... I DO believe my DH was right! When he first saw your blog post about the FoTR pattern ideas, he pointed at the image representing Dwarrowdelf and uttered something, to which I replied ... "can't be". But now, as I look at another image related to this pattern, I see that he was speaking true! I mean, those are images from the MORPG LOTRO, right?

Otherwise, I got the email link and downloaded my pattern. This is so exciting! Thank you!

Cheers!

madonnaearth said...

Can I tell you how much I love the edging on this one? It is so neat looking!

Susan Pandorf said...

thanks!

mona said...

Hi Susan
For some reason I can't seem to find the Buy button either here or on Ravelry.

Would you be able to point it out?

Thanks

Cindy said...

I would like to purchase this pattern, but before I do, can you give me an idea of what level knitter this is for?

Thank you!