women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Rustica


When despair grows in me
and I wake in the middle of the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting for their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

- Wendell Berry


RUSTICA SCARF
PERFECT FOR ANY HANDSPUN OR RUSTIC YARN
$4


SIZE:
12 inches wide by 84 inches long


MATERIALS:
450 yds. worsted weight yarn
Model knit with Filatura di Crosa Dusk, color 3
Size 8 (US) needles or to obtain gauge


GAUGE:
4.5 stitches = 1 inch when pulled out to blocked width

Suitable for Beginning Lace Knitter
Written Directions


Looking for a quick and easy scarf for the fall? How about an easy-peasy Christmas gift?

Then this aperitif is right up your alley. Long enough to wrap several times around your neck. It would be great for handspun. You could also use Noro Silk Garden or Kureyon. It would be very nice in Malabrigo as well.

The pattern is simple enough not to compete with your yarn, but just interesting enough to lend a little flair. A nifty little twisted stitch separates the pattern repeats nicely.

Sometimes simple is all you need.

2 comments:

thaddeusrose said...

Oh my... the Wendell Berry poem certainly hits home with the way I feel about the times we are living in! Love the scarf and really like it's name :-)

Rabbitknitz said...

I like the picture of the redwoods trees (which is what those are, unless I miss my guess! I live in redwood forest country) I especially like how the Rustica captures that wonderful special slanting afternoon sunlight in a forest. Nice use of color changing yarn!