women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Something's Coming

size- hat: adult medium
scarf: 8 in by 60 in
materials:
blue sky alpacas sport or other sport weight yarn
hat: 150 yd
scarf: 500 yd
optional trim: 10 yd contrast color
hat: size 4 & 5 (us) double point needles
scarf: size 5(us) needle
gauge: 9 stitches = 1 inch
(in twist stitch rib on size 5 needles)

This hat and scarf have no actual cabling. The crossed appearance is achieved by gathering the ribbing with the working yarn as in smocking. No cable needles necessary. MUCH easier and faster too!

"Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great!"

- from West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein




Look what I did on my summer autumn vacation!

I made a hat!

(Hey! It beats a lanyard or a pinch pot any day...)

This is the newly christened (i.e. renamed)

Gotham hat

You may recall pictures of the matching scarf a few weeks ago, only at that time I was calling it Cafe au L'ait.

I decided to name it for the arched pattern rather than the color, since it would be lovely in any color.

Arches make me think of Gothic, which morphed into Gotham when I wasn't looking.

(It worked for Batman. Maybe I can tap into all of that Dark Knight craze)

Yeah. Right. So not gonna happen...

ADDENDUM: This hat has no actual cabling. The crossed appearance is achieved by gathering the ribbing with the working yarn as in smocking. No cable needles necessary. MUCH easier and faster too!

Anyhoo...

The pattern goes on sale Friday. I've priced it at $6 because it includes directions for two items: a matching hat and scarf. So you get two for the price of one (and a half)

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

If you act now, I'll include bonus instructions for knitting a headband, a la Calorimetry

(But only if you are among the first one hundred callers...)

kidding...

(but I will throw in a set of Ginsu knives)

no, I won't...


Now, if I could just get some heat coming, all would be wonderful back home on the sunflower farm. Furnace on the fritz again. 62 lousy degrees in here.

BRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

FiberRachel said...

hey, I want to act now, have been waiting for this one, but you haven't got a pre-order button up there :D:D

It's not fair, I am off to stay with my sister tomorrow, and now I will have to raid the neighborhood for computer access while I am staying there. Oh well, I suppose it will still be there on Monday LOL

Kathleen said...

What??? No Ginsu knives? I'm calling Ronco as soon as I can decipher their tool free number from Spanish...I think it's a Chilean number from here, lol. Seriously, it's springtime here even though we're still wearing scarves and stoles.

La Cabeza Grande said...

What structure! What symmetry! What? No knives?

Megan said...

No ginsu knives, now how am I going to be able to cut through bricks, metal pipes, and then filet a fish?? Oh well at least I won't have to use a cable needle =)

Love the new pattern!!! Can't wait to order it!
=)
Megan