women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Black & White

The world is black, the world is white
It turns by day and then by night
A child is black, a child is white
Together they grow to see the light, to see the light
- Three Dog Night


As a designer I often key my designs from the inspirational color: Moroccan spice, dandelion yellow, purple iris, lettuce green, foggy gray.

So, when someone commented the other day that they couldn't see the pattern for Crocus Pocus because the color got in the way, it made me think.


I know exactly what she means; sometimes a color just can't seem to coexist peacefully with a pattern, no matter how many different things you try. One is oil. And the other is water. And never the twain shall mix.


Now I don't necessarily place Crocus Pocus in that category, but I get where she's coming from. Nobody likes clown barf. (Well,actually, SOMEBODY does, or they wouldn't make it; one person's "clown barf" is another person's "bright and cheery," and who are we to judge?)


So , just for you, because I aim to please...
Crocus Pocus in black and white (or as black and white as my photo editor would get me.)

Just pretend it's an old movie. Very Bogie and Bacall...

Before Ted Turner got a hold of them...


In other news, Knitty Noddy is giving a $1 discount on the pattern price when purchased with the yarn.

It might not be enough to bring back the old flicks in all their black and white glory.

But it COULD be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

7 comments:

Judith said...

hi Susan! oh dear, I'd never call Crocus Pocus "clown barf" though I have seen some lace things in variegated yarn that would qualify. thanks so much for posting the more neutral color pics, the pattern comes though much more clearly (to my eye anyway)- it's very lovely!

dragon knitter said...

ok, here's the deal. i will probably want to purchase all 6 patterns, based on what i've seen of the crocus pocus pattern. however, i will only have a big enough chunk of money to spare after the "economic stimulus package" shows up. what would be the possibility of "prepurchasing" all 6? i have serious droolage going on with this.

thanks!

Knit and fall back in it said...

Crocus Pocus is amazing...even in black and white.

Anonymous said...

Susan
I have ordered the kit from Knitty Knoddy. I love it. Where do you buy your beads in Indy?

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
Love the new photos of Crocus Pocus and that gives me new ideas for colorway. Hmmmmmmm. Also, congratulations for the mention at Lime and Violet today - may your sales grow!

Rebecca said...

Very pretty! SOMEDAY I will take the plunge and knit a shawl...someday

Kim said...

Susan! Just catching up - Crocus Pocus works great with the yarn you chose. Very cute!