women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Weathertop

We escape along the Great Road
Strider,my friends and I, Frodo
The Black Riders follow, just five of their lot.
If only we'll meet Gandalf on Weathertop.

Through Midgewater Marshes and trecherous bogs
And Neckerbreekers squeeking through the cold, gloomy fog
Off in the distance, our eyes are caught
By leaps of lightening on Weathertop.

Many days on the road have left us thin
But to joke we look like wraiths seems far too grim.
We turn towards Amon Sul now long crumbled with rot
Where the watchtower was burned on old Weathertop

We climb up the hill with hope of finding Gandalf
But tracks in the dust tell us he was off.
Down the Great Road, our hearts are distraught,
Five Black Riders race towards old Weathertop.

"We've a fortnight to go to reach Rivendale,"
Says Strider, "There's nowhere safe between here and there.
So sit your backs to the fire on guard for the plot.
For a battle begins tonight on Weathertop."

Then over the dell, I see a shadow rise.
Three, then five dark figures, wraiths in moonlight
Terror ensnares us, Sam speeds to my side.
I hear The Ring calling...me to hide.

I reach in my pocket and grip it tight.
My mind goes blind to warnings. Ah, but to hide.
I slip the ring on, unleashing my hell
As the pale king's knife stabs me and I'm quelled.

In the morning, I wake whispering, "O', where's the pale king?"
To my companions joy I live and still clutch The Ring.
My body is weak, but our journey unstopped.
As we make our escape from old Weathertop.

- words and music Marc Gunn



It's free pattern time!

When I saw Rowan's Revive, a recycled blend of silk, cotton, & viscose, I was immediately struck by how much it looked like rock.The recycling does the same thing that geological forces do: merges many colors into one mottled color.

I began to get ideas (always a dangerous proposition). I wanted a little throw away scarf to toss on over my summer tanks and under my jean jacket - something vaguely organic looking.


After a little experimentation, I cam up with a nifty little reversible pattern that you can whip up in a weekend or so.



Only two balls yields a 60 inch long drape of stony goodness. Just right for a gift or a quick & easy vacation project.

Materials:
2 (2 1/2) balls Rowan Revive (137 yds each) or equivalent yardage other DK yarn.
size 6 (US) needles
Size: 6 inches wide by 60 (75) inches long
Gauge: 4 st = 1 inch

DIRECTIONS

Cast On 34 st.

Row 1 (RS): k2, *p5, k3, k2tog, yo; rep from * to last 2 st. k2
Rows 2 & 3 (WS): k2, *p5, k2, k2tog, yo, k1; rep from * to last 2 st. k2
Rows 4 & 5 (WS): k2, *p5, k1, k2tog, yo, k2; rep from * to last 2 st. k2
Row 6 (WS): k2, *p5, k2tog, yo, k3; rep from * to last 2 st. k2

Repeat these 6 rows until out of yarn or desired length. Bind off. Lightly steam press to reduce drawing in. Weave ends in and wear with pride.




And that's all there is to it. I think I'll go finish mine now.

Enjoy getting stoned! lol

3 comments:

Donna Lee said...

Those yarn colors look like stone. It's beautiful. It would be useful in our overly a/c'd buildings.

Laurie said...

Lovely yarn and pattern. Must be on the lookout for this one. :-) Thanks!

ArizonaGrandma said...

I'm confused as to which rows should be listed as right side rows. The written pattern shows all but one wrong side. Can you pleasem explain