women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Change It Up

"The most fatal illusion is the settled point of view. Since life is growth and motion, a fixed point of view kills anybody who has one."

-Brooks Atkinson

Hope no one will be too disappointed in a change that happened over the last week.

I do my best, when selling subscriptions to stick to the released plan. People don't like it when you change things too much. Especially if they have paid for it.

The yarn I intended to use for Dwarrowdelf just wasn't working for me. It was too variegated and too blue, where I wanted something darker.

I have however ordered it in a DK weight and am hoping to use it for a Misty Mountain piece.

Here is the final design element for Dwarrowdelf.


The yarn is Madelinetosh sock in Thicket, a lovely dusky, earthy eggplant type color. I looked at black & charcoal, but it was too stark. Dwarrowdelf isn't an evil place. Yes, the Balrog lives there, yes, it has been overrun by cave trolls. But is was once the great hall of the Dwarven Kings of Old. It has been forgotten & neglected.

I think this color perfectly captures the essence of that feeling - faded out to a dusty echo of what was once royal purple.

The stole is knit in an interesting fashion. A back strip is knit in two pieces & grafted at center to form a pattern like this: <<<>>>. then the ends are knit down from the sides of that strip. turning the pattern upside down results in a repeating arched pattern reminiscent of the great hall itself.

I have been told I over-think things, but this just seems right to me. I have ever used an intuitive process when it comes to design, and my gut tells me when the knitting is right.

I also swatched over the weekend for the front bands of the mithril vest.



Change is the only constant in our lives. We do well to embrace it...

6 comments:

Heartsapocolypse said...

I love the change in yarn. That is just beautiful and as the designer, you know what's right for your design.
Both pieces are lovely.

Sandra La Knitalian said...

" - faded out to a dusty echo of what was once royal purple."

I think you nailed it, I love the color!

browneyegurl35 said...

i like the new choice of yarn. Sometimes change is good, even though we are creatures of habit.
We shall adapt and overcome.


Keep the needles clicking

Cathie Jones said...

I love the new yarn, and your description of it! I've never been a LOTR fan, but you could convince me to try again, with such beautiful language!!

naath said...

I love the new choice of yarn! It's gorgeous. Now you just need to tell us how much of us we have to run out and buy (so we can sqoooosh it and pet it until we get the pattern of course).

audrey said...

lovely color! it looks similar to woolen rabbit's chocolate chambord, which is much easier to get hold of than tosh sock ... looking forward to seeing the pattern!