women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Philanthropy

"The word philanthropy has its roots in the Greek language meaning "love for mankind." It was never meant to apply only to donors of thousands or millions of dollars."

- Arthur C. Frantzreb

The knitting commmunity is answering Haiti's call for help in a big way. According to the Yarn Harlot, over $50,000 has been raised for Knitters without Borders. That is a lot of yarn, people.

I am proud to be a small part of that effort.

For every person who signs up for the Evenstar Mystery Shawl KAL, we are donating $1 to the effort - $309 so far.

I say we, because, though my debit card shows the charge, I consider it a mere funneling of $1 from every person who has been inspired by the message of fellowship and concern for others that lies at the heart of the LOTR saga.

You have given, not me. My personal donation is private, as it should be. The only reason I mention this effort here is to ask others to join with us and, together, make a difference in our world.

I encourage you to support this effort in any way you can. The need is great and time is short. Should you wish to donate directly to Knitters Without Borders, go here.

Great Britain has a wonderful philanthropic knitting project as I mentioned in December: P/HOP, which stands for pennies per hour of pleasure. They also raise money for Doctors Without Borders. Designers donate patterns and the patterns are used to solicit donations.

I have donated the entire series of 2008 Garden Variety Collection patterns, five in all. These patterns are retired, so no longer available anywhere else.

They have been very popular in the past & I am always fielding inquiries about their availability. My hope is that the patterns will live on in this way and continue to raise funds for a worthy cause.

The fine folks at P/HOP will be putting them up asap. In the meantime, there are many other fabulous patterns available there. I cannot think of a worthier way to knit intentionally in the coming weeks.

How fortunate we are to be worrying about things like what yarn to use, and when clues are coming out. Our homes are intact; our children safe; our needs, for the most part, well met.

Others are not nearly so lucky.

To quote Aragorn, "It is in Men that we must place our hope."

Thank you for your incredible generosity to myself, and much more importantly, the people of Haiti.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is an absolutely lovely gesture - as soon as I can spare the funds, I will be heading over there and donating as much as I can. :)