women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Taliesin

Fair Elffin, cease your lament!
....Though I am weak and small,
On the wave crest of the the surging sea,
I shall be better for you
Than three hundred shares of salmon.
Elffin of noble generosity,
Do not sorrow at your catch.
Though I am weak on the floor of my basket,
There are wonders on my tongue....''

-from the Book of Taliesin

Most of us recognize the name Taliesin from the architectural work of Frank Lloyd Wright, but in actuality, the name is much older.

Taliesin was a renowned Welsh bard who is believed to have sung at the courts of at least three Celtic British kings. The Book of Taliesin is one of the most famous of Welsh manuscripts, dating from the first half of the 14th century - though many of the fifty-seven poems it preserves are taken to originate in the 10th century.

Taliesin was also a shape shifter, which is why I am naming this cowl/scarf design for him.

This pattern can be worn many different ways, and knit in many different variations. It too, is a shape shifter.

I have written up the directions, but many of you who volunteered to test knit in January did not leave me an email and all I got from blogger was the dreaded "no comment."

So, if you want to test knit and you haven't already got the pattern in your "in" box, drop me a line at susanpandorf@comcast.net and I will reply with your free pattern.

Remember, I am looking for completed projects in January so to paraphrase Johnny Cochrun,

If you want to knit, you must commit!

Thanks to all who are helping me bring this pattern to a wider audience.

Just to spread the joy around, I will be giving away a free pattern (of your choice - Spruce excluded) to one commenter a day through Christmas, randomly chosen by Mrs. Claus (just me - don't get too excited).

I'll announce the previous day's winner in each post this month, If you are the winner, email me your preference at susanpandorf@comcast.net and I'll email your pattern right out to you.

Doesn't that sound like a lot of fun?

Yesterday's winner is: KayKatrn. Email me, girl...

Now aren't you glad you left a comment?

NO STASH SALE NEXT TWO WEEKS DUE TO HOLIDAYS
MAY DO ONE ON THE 3RD
HAVEN'T DECIDED YET.

45 comments:

Brenda said...

That scarf looks so pretty. But - I am in Los Angeles and have no use for more scarves...

Altho, I may change my mind and knit one for sis who lives in more wintry climes...

Vicki Suan said...

Hi Susan, I am so buried under a ton of knitting. Not for Christmas presents though. I just find myself perpetually buried. Secretly, that's the way I like it. I get bored with knitting one item at a time--lol! Merry Christmas to you and looking forward to your next de-stashing.

kay said...

Beautiful as usual.have a Merry Christmas &a Happy New Year

Unknown said...

I wish I could test knit for you,
but unfortunately or may fortunately for you, I can't.
Your new cowl looks very good.
Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year.

Brenda said...

OK, I surrender... I would like to knit one for my sis in Canada.

My email is bcastiel @ hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I was going to suggest the shape shifter but of course you were already there, beautiful pattern.

happy holidays from the Caribbean where we do wear scarves and shawls and love to knit.

kathy

Suzanne said...

Love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Your new piece looks amazing! What kind of a stitch is it? Looks a little bit like cabling or so!?

Cozy Knitting said...

I am really curious about the stitch also. I see little x's in there somewhere. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Karen M said...

I love the abalone yarn. I'm wondering if I can justify the splurge.

RagdollDesigns said...

I love that scarf - the color and stitch are a perfect match.

teabird said...

300 shares of salmon - I don't know........

Elaine said...

I'll leave a comment because I love your patterns. Your knitting is inspirational.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to knit it for you. I sent an email to the comcast address.

Yesterday was Shabbat and I didn't get to post a comment but I love what you had to say. I sometimes lose track of that simple truth. Thanks for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

I've just sent you an email...I'd like to test knit this project. I was looking for a new project.

teresa mccusker

April said...

ooo I want a free pattern!! I'm currently snowed in and hoping the snow won't stops so I have a good excuse to stay snuggled into my apartment knitting tomorrow rather then going to work.

Rabbitknitz said...

I love this!! The stitch pattern is wonderful! It'll be interesting to see how this knits up in different yarns. I wish I could test knit, but too many projects circling the airport. Still, I look forward to buying a copy later!

rachelanderson said...

love the name of the new pattern...and loved your post yesterday! It was worth waiting for, and a little one is always a good excuse to come late to a party. ;-)

Arly said...

Quite interesting how you name your projects.

Bridget said...

Excellent design - love the texture

Unknown said...

I love how the names for your projects have so much meaning to them. I will e-mail you about test-knitting right away.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the new pattern looks lovely. It's your own fault that I can't commit to knitting a sample--I bought "Byzantine" a few weeks ago, and I haven't been this excited about a pattern in years! All yarn-buying is on hold while I scrimp and save for a bunch of Noro Silk Garden Lite. So as you see, you have only yourself to blame (-;

Natalie K.

squiggi said...

love the scarf. love the name

Lise said...

I would love to knit your new scarf in January. I am always inspired by your creativity, and the deep thought that you put into all of your designs.

lisegray at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

Those of us with Welsh heritage thank you! The knitting does evoke the traditional Welsh weaving patterns I've seen.

Ash said...

I wish I could be a test knitter for this beautiful pattern but I just sat down with my husband to figure out all the things we've got going on in the next 4 weeks. I needed a nap just talking about it all. Oy.

ikkinlala said...

Very pretty!

knitandputt said...

Hi, I downloaded your pattern this am. and plan to have a go at it this evening. Thanks for the opportunity to knit this. I am looking forward to it!!

Nebraska Knitter said...

I loved your post from yesterday. A wise man once told me, "Christmas doesn't have to be perfect to be good." Life is good, living in the moment and seeing the holiday through a child's eyes are all examples of "better than perfect." Enjoy. Lake Michigan looks lovely.

Nebraska Knitter

Monika said...

I wish I had time to knit for you. Taliesin looks really lovely.

Bobbie said...

Your work is always so beautiful,and your quotes are always so thoughtful. Thank you for such inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

I cannot test-knit but look forward to buying the pattern when you see it. It's wonderful.

Heidi in CT said...

Its gorgeous! If you still need test knitters, let me know. We could always use scarves in snowy connecticut and this one is so beautiful! Just let me know what yarn etc....

email: HAnnUlrich@sbcglobal.net

Nancy in VT said...

Oh, only a few more days till Christmas! Gotta finish my wrapping. skyhert

Delores H. said...

Your blog/knitting site is great... I always enjoy reading it. If you ever need a test knitter count me in! :) The Celestial re-mix looks great.

Karen M said...

The east coast has a lot of snow so they will have a white Christmas. No snow where I am thank goodness. We fall apart when it snows.

Anonymous said...

christmas gives us some extra knitting time, maybe a sunflower design ?
Wishing you all the best
Angela from Germany

Unknown said...

Oooooo! I love the pattern, especially since it is reversible. I missed the offer to test-knit sadly, but thanks for the Christmas in the Country Cowl pattern. Happy Holidays!

LaceLady said...

If you still need a test-knitter, I'm your gal! Bring it on! Looks like just the ticket, so pretty!

Elizabeth said...

Great pattern!

Erin said...

It's such a beautiful pattern and I can't wait to knit it. I've ordered my yarn and I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive so I can cast on!

DebKnits2 said...

I need more knitting time.

PenCraft said...

Love the look, wish I could commit to a test knit; but, I'm not sure I could finish it in January. February would be doable. . . LOL I'm sure you had plenty of volunteers :)

Dr. Jackie said...

Very pretty!

cindi said...

love this stitch!
would love to test
lucki67@hotmail.com