women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Takin' Care of Business

Today's post is one of those mixed bag type of posts. I often find myself in a groove when holding forth on a particular topic and it feels like an intrusion of randomness would interrupt the flow. So I go days without imparting crucial irrelevant information to you - my adoring fans, enthusiastic followers, lukewarm audience, tolerant friends.

You have no idea how hard it was for the writer in me to add on the postscript to yesterday's thoughtfully considered and endlessly valuable post rant. It was like fingernails on a blackboard.

It was like tacking extra arms onto the Venus de Milo. It was like adding jalapeno peppers to a hot fudge sundae. It was like tacking a delicate lace border onto a beefy aran sweater.

In other words, it stuck out like a sore thumb (or a dropped stitch as the case may be.)

So, today you get...

leftovers.

Contain your excitement.

Miriam Felton, on her blog, poses the question, “If I knit fast enough, does it count as exercise?” The answer, apparently, according to Health magazine is YES!

There it is, right on pg. 117 of the September issue, under “No-Sweat Calorie Burners:”

“Do your nails or knit while watching your favorite hour-long TV show. BURN 102 CALORIES.”

Who knew?



Lucia corralled me into the Pay It Forward exchange that's been making the rounds. I get a little something sent to me, and in return I make this promise:

I will send a handmade gift to the first 3 people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.

I don't do well with deadlines (see Structure post) but this one has a window so wide even the chronically organizationally challenged can squeeze through. I mean, a year! 365 big ones! Surely, even I can make that deadline (but don't bet on it! I wouldn't want to be responsible for you losing your shirt, your home, your kid's college tuition, or...

GASP!!

your yarn money (tragic!)

But when I come through, I really come through. Yesterday I mailed off Tiennie's prize package for winning the 25th subscriber contest. I don't know when I've had such fun! Since I promised 25 things and there are 25 days in December before D-day Christmas, I made her a knitter's advent calendar with something to open every day between now and the big Yule.

I know I'm late (did I mention I was disorganized?) but just think of the fun she'll have opening an entire week at once. Man, when I was a kid, that would have just thrilled the livin' bejeesus out of me. My brother and I fought over whose turn it was to open that little flap of cardboard!

Anyway, she knows about the advent calendar thingie, so I'm not revealing any state secrets here. What did she get? You'll just have to scamper on over to her blog come next week and find out... I had such a good time with this idea that I'm going to do it every year (the advent prize, not the Bloglines subscriber estimate.) Next year, I'll find a different contest angle. And I'll get the prize box off in November (maybe.)

Thanks for enduring my rant yesterday. Hope it wasn't off-putting to anybody. I'm not really a Scrooge. I just find so much more of the peaceful spirit of the holiday flowing through me when I am knitting or baking, anything but shopping. I don't deal well with crowds.

When I am knitting a present for someone, I envision that person, what makes them special, how much joy they have brought into my life, and love speeds my needles on...

You just don't get that feeling standing in line at WalMart.

Well, maybe YOU do, but I don't.

Have been busy entering projects onto Ravelry. Margene kindly suggested it would be a good way to get the word out about Sunflower Designs. It's a brave new world, people.

Speaking of Margene, she has a great post today on UFO's Go read. I'll wait...

And as to that grass I was dashing through yesterday?

It's yesterday's news.

Last night, when I went to bed, it looked like this:









This morning, when I got up, things had made significant progress...









It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...








Think I'll go warm myself by the welcoming fire that is my sun-baked Moroccan holiday.

















And Pippin will help...

6 comments:

Kim said...

Your rant was a rant I think shared by many of us. I wish that we could slow down the craziness that has become Christmas. Whilst we can't slow it down in the world, we can choose to slow it down at home :-)

Morocco is looking warm and beautiful...she matches your virtual me colors! I will be working on Arabian Nights today :-)

AsKatKnits said...

I love reading your blog, Susan! And, I LOVED your rant yesterday!! Here, here for lovingly hand knitted gifts for all those around us! Think how much more peaceful and loving the world would be if we ALL knit gifts!! Ahhh.... what a thought! Okay - I am off to keep knitting!!

margene said...

You can add your knits to Ravelry as "My designs". Don't forget to do that.

Kim said...

heh heh - for once, you have more snow that I. Guess that Outback will be trading the grass for snow.

Hope you're staying warm with Moroccan Days / Arabian Nights

Donna Lee said...

I think most people would agree with your rant (unless their name is Walton). I like to shop but like to take my time and choose gifts that I know the recipient will enjoy. I hate being rushed and pushed and CROWDS. There is not enough xanax in the world for the way crowds make me feel. I try to do my shopping in little bits and in small places. It's getting harder and harder to do that as the small places disappear.

And I love the moroccan design. You are really an inspired designer.

Opal said...

Walmart so does NOT inspire the warmth and love that should be the Christmas spirit. *shudder* Like Donna, there's is not enough medication in the world that would help me endure the mob mania in malls and super stores.

Oh and I loved Margene's post on UFOs. Very thought provoking.