women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

One Series to Rule Them All

When the cold of Winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain

But in dreams
I still hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again

When the seas and mountains fall
And we come, to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there
I will go there
And back again

Words and music by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore,
Based on the song for the Entwives by Tolkien.

I have finally pulled this whole mess into a semblance of order. So many ideas...I haven't been this excited in ages!

I have decided to divide the patterns by the book/movie they come from; a trilogy of knitting!

LORD OF THE RINGS PROJECT

Fellowship of the Ring
Evenstar (circular mystery shawl KAL)
Argonath (cabled stole)
Dwarrowdelf (lace shawl)
Lothlorien (cabled stole)
Strider (cowl)
Bombadil(fair isle tam)
Mithril (beaded vest)

The Two Towers
One Ring (mystery shawl KAL)
Balrog (mosaic cowl)
Rohan (fair isle cape)
Ringwraith (lace stole)
Eowyn (tw st. gloves)
Tree Beard (lace scarf)
Legolas (lace ruana)

Return of the King
Elessar (triangular mystery shawl KAL)
Minas Tirith (mosaic hat)
Into the west (lace)
Samwise (cabled cowl)
Arwen (lace)
Gimli (mod. stole)
Green Dragon (intars mittens)
Requiem (hood)

I have tried, whenever possible, to include both a variety of techniques and a variety of accessory types within each cycle. Wouldn't want anyone to feel bogged down or bored!

I do not have a firm schedule for the patterns, beyond a commitment to thee first coming out May 1st and the others following every 6-8 weeks. Some will obviously take longer than others.

I want to be flexible - if a pattern is ready to release in four weeks, I don't want to hold it until a certain date. Conversely, if a pattern takes eight weeks to complete, I don't want to be pushed into release before it is truly ready. I hope you will understand my reluctance to place firm dates upon the series. Creativity is hard to structure.

I can promise you we will be done within the year (or sooner) and then we will move on to the next installment - The Two Towers - and the next mystery shawl pattern.

Sign ups begin March 1st, 2010.


Patterns will be available individually as they are issued for $8 each. Those who purchase in advance get a price break - $40 for the Fellowship of the Rings series (first six patterns).

First pattern will be released May 1st, with others following every 6 to 8 weeks until complete.

Here's some preliminary pics to whet your appetite.

Argonath (cable & lace stole - String Theory DK weight)


Mithril (beaded vest - Handmaiden Silk Twist)


Bombaldil (fair isle hat - String Theory Caper sock fingering weight)


Dwarrowdelf (lace shawl - Tanis Fibers lace weight)

Strider (cowl - worsted weight)
Bag End (mosaic bag - fingering weight)
Lothlorien (cabled stole w/ gradient colors- DK weight)

*****

A word to those who are waiting on other designs:

I know for every pattern on which I have begun the design process, there are avid knitters wanting to cast on. I know I design far more than I have time to knit. I know there are knitters out there who are disappointed in this new development and what it means to my other projects, which have been tabled for the current moment.

I beg you forgiveness and your patience. All things happen for a reason and all in our world works towards the good. I believe I am meant to follow this muse, where ever she may lead. I will get back to these projects, I promise. Like Isildur's heir, I shall return.

*****

Tomorrow at 6:00 PM EST the first clue comes out for the Evenstar Mystery Shawl KAL , however we are still taking sign-ups till February 19th.

Yesterday I signed up with an automated email service to better manage the large number of people involved. The business has officially outgrown my home server.

You should have received an email from Aweber on my behalf, requesting you to confirm your membership in the KAL by clicking on the link at the bottom. Make sure you have done this before 6:00 tomorrow or your first clue will be delayed.

And now, if you will excuse me, I am off to make final corrections to tomorrow's clue.

Until we meet tomorrow in dreams...



16 comments:

Heather said...

Wonderful! I'm so excited for this trilogy.

Abigail said...

Aren't the signups through February 19th? Not Jan??

Abs

Tammy said...

This is really a great idea. I can't wait to sign up for the whole thing.

Andrea (@shutterbitch) said...

Does the $45 cover all three books/movies sections? Or is it $45 per section?

I am chomping at the bit over that Ringwraith stole. After you posted that swatch the other day, I can't stop thinking about it. Luckily Evenstar starts tomorrow so I'll have a distraction.

Susan Pandorf said...

$45 for the Fellowship patterns only

Experimental Knitter said...

I'm confused about signing up for $45 for 7 patterns. How does that work when one already signed up for Evenstar? Does that mean that on March 1, I can sign up for the Fellowship series and pay $45 - $8?
Thanks in advance.

Susan Pandorf said...

the KALs are billed and signed up for separately. Each one is $8.

The other 7 patterns are $45, if you but them as a group in advance or $8 each if bought individually.

dragon knitter said...

*bounces*

I CAN'T WAIT!

ChiDeb said...

Susan,
Can't wait for this to start, and even worse, can't wait to sign up for the rest of the patterns. I have been chomping at the bit for the pattern since finishing my swatch! I'm heading down your way this weekend to visit #2 son and family for Valentine's Day. Hope the weather is better!
Debra

Donna Lee said...

You have certainly set high goals for yourself. But the excitement comes through in your words. It's Friday and the first clue comes out in 9 hours. Can you tell I'm excited?

Experimental Knitter said...

Thanks! My DH has been bugging me for ages to knit something in mithril!

LadyDragonfly said...

I can't wait for all the patterns!!

ukimom (on ravelry) said...

I'm so excited about this project and am committed to the whole series, but if you take the KALs out of the equation as being a separate project, each section is left with 6 not 7 patterns (except for Return of the King). That might be where some people are getting confused.

Anonymous said...

Such a challenge! I think I want to knit them all, and I'm the world's slowest knitter.
Isn't the magic of a big inspiration wonderful?

CrazyYarnHarlot said...

i need to know how to sign up to get the patterns...these are fantastic!!

Susan Pandorf said...

Over on the sidebar Shelly!