"Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful."
If that quote holds any truth, then round me up and call me "Bessie."
I am re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy (having not read them since college).
I am watching the movies (again- extended version, of course).
I am watching the documentary content of the DVD set (for the first time).
I am searching through Lord of the Rings Art Books (to die for- unbelievably gorgeous & cool) drawing inspiration from them.
I am haunting Blue Moon & Tanis Fiber Arts, String Theory, the Unique Sheep, & Sanguine Gryphon , searching out the perfect yarns for Lord of the Rings projects.
I am paging through stitch dictionaries, modular knitting, twisted stitch, Estonian lace, mosaic knitting, mitten, & colorwork manuals, looking for just the right shapes & textures for Lord of the Rings patterns.
I am spending my quiet morning reflection time reading, The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings.
I am keeping up with the Evenstar KAL on Ravelry ( have read every post and there have been a lot of them!)
I am tallying up the total number of participants (538 so far!) and cataloging the countries:
New Zealand (only fitting after all, since movies were shot there)
England (Tolkien’s homeland & inspiration for a truly “English” mythology)
Germany (quite a few - they are starting a thread on the KAL in German)
I am emailing welcome letters and swatch directions, activating Ravelry links to order & download the Evenstar pattern.
I am fixing the glitches in the existing patterns and charting new ones - have reinstalled new software on advice of the designer - keep your fingers crossed...
I am knitting furiously on Evenstar ( no, I will not give you another peek - stop whining!)
And swatching other designs for the series, which has grown considerably since our last conversation!
- Ringwraith Stole: lace/twisted stitch stole in BMFA Geisha in Raven Clan
- Eowyn's Riding Gauntlets: twisted stitch fingerless gloves in Sanguine Gryphon Eidos
- Bruinin (or Loudwater): rippling something (undecided) in String Theory DK
- Lasgalen (or Greenwood) Ruana: gradated lace in Unique Sheep Luxe
- Dwarrowdelf Shawl: triangular lace shawl in Tanis Fiber Arts lace
- Bag's End: mosaic stitch mushroom bag (but you will probably keep other things in it)in Unique Sheep tinsel toes
- Lothlorien Wrap: cabled wrap in special custom dye gradiance DK by Unique Sheep
- Mithril Vest: in Katia Gatsby
- Gimli Scarf : modular knit (unisex) in Noro Kureyon Worsted
- Green Dragon Mittens: color-work mittens in Tanis Fiber Arts fingering (kit)
- Samwise Gamgee Neckwarmer: (unisex) in (too cool) yarn from the mill that made the cloaks for the movie
I tried to stop at elevenses, but the darn thing keeps growing...
Last, but certainly not least: One Ring Circular Mystery Shawl
I may have to change the name of the blog to either:
MORE than a few stitches short (considerably)
And if you have stuck with me thus far, there is a reward (because there is always a reward at the end of a quest. Have you learned nothing?)
This is the swatch for the Ringwraith Stole. I ordered the yarn from Blue Moon today.
In Corvid from the Raven Clan colors. (That's not the Geisha; it's shown in sock yarn)
I'm not obsessed; I'm just...
enthusiastic - yeah - that's it...