women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Knit What You Love


"The whole difference between construction and creation is this; that a thing constructed can only be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists."

- Charles Dickens


I had a message from a beginning lace knitter on Ravelry this morning, asking me whether she (or he) should use something from her stash to knit Poinsettia or should order the special color of sea silk from Knitty Noddy. She wondered whether her "beginners" skill set was worth the expense. I hope she won't mind if I share my response with you. I think her question is one we all struggle with, especially in these uncertain times.

My answer is not the right answer; it is simply my answer.

We have ALL been beginners at some point. We pick up a couple sticks; we laboriously follow the symbols on a chart or the shorthand of written directions; we do WHATEVER we have to do in order to keep track of where we are; and we marvel at all the different and wonderful results from such simple stitches as yarn over and knit 2 together…

Far be it from me to tell you what kind of investment your knitting is worth. Only you can determine that. I will say that, for me at least, part of the enjoyment of a project is how the yarn feels and how the colors merge as I knit with it. Knit what you love and you will never regret the time taken or the cost incurred.

If you love the Andrea, use it. If you have something else in mind for it, or it just doesn’t feel right in the pattern, invest in another yarn.

Life is too short and our leisure hours too few to spend them with anything less than what makes our hearts sing and our imaginations take flight…

Oh… and I used the darker Poinsettia color. My heart smiles and my hands flutter every time I pick up the project.

Blessings & happy knitting always!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so true and that is why it is hard for me to knit some things that maybe perhaps I should but I just don't love.

Megan said...

Knitting with something you love makes it a lot easier to rip back mistakes and re-knit them. It gives you just a little extra time with the yarn you love (or that is at least what I'm trying to tell myself). =)

Ann said...

Knit what you love - you do put things across so well & I completely agree with you! Happy knitting to you too!

La Cabeza Grande said...

As the contestants used to say on a game show whose name I no longer recall, "Good answer! Good answer!"