women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Late Bloomers

"As long as we are persistent in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow. We cannot choose the day or time when we will fully bloom. It happens in its own time.'
- Denis Waitley

Thank you all for your ongoing interest in Sunflower Designs. Your enthusiasm and passion is inspiring.

The Aperitifs Collection is flying off the shelves out of the laptop (we don't have shelves on the sunflower farm - way too organized for a chronic right-brainer like me.) I have the feeling there will be more than a few of these designs under the Christmas tree this year. Look for another release later this week...

A new friend on Ravelry has reminded me that we probably have a few latecomers who might benefit from a reiteration of the details of the Garden Variety Collection.

The Garden Variety Collection
is a series of lace scarves/shawls inspired by the magnificent diversity we can find in our garden flowers,and the gorgeous colors of Handmaiden yarns. The patterns are designed for Sea Silk or Mini Maiden although other yarns of similar gauge can be (and have been) substituted successfully. Designs feature extensive crochet hook beading (optional) to enhance the lines of the patterns.

So far there have been four releases:

Crocus Pocus


Iris

Hydrangea

and
Zinnia


Sunflower was supposed to come out this month.



But factors such as repetitive stress injury, family illness, new grandchild, punishing pace, and size of the finished piece have combined to delay its release. Oh, c'mon now, don't cry; you know how that affects me...

Poinsettia will still come out in November as scheduled, in time for Christmas, and that pattern will be emailed free of charge to all who have purchased the four previously published patterns. Don't worry; Evelyn at Knitty Noddy and I have been keeping track of who orders what.

I have first pictures to share of the sample skeins that Jana at Handmaiden has dyed exclusively for Poinsettia.

Evelyn is shipping one of each to me today so I can decide between them. The main difference seems to be the relative amounts of red, gold, and green and the overall intensity of the colors. I will knit a bit with both and then decide which to use. What do you think? Which one do you like?

(Please keep in mind that this an informal non-binding survey.)

This yummy color of Sea Silk will be available (soon!) exclusively from Knitty Noddy.

So don't throw up your hands in despair.

Don't mope.

Don't cancel your subscriptions, tie up your loose ends, and jump out your window...

(Y'all can detect the heavy irony in my tone, can't you?)

Sunflower

and
Bougainvillea

will be released following Poinsettia.

Not exactly what I had planned, but real life got in the way. I hope that those of you who have been knitting the series will embrace these two "late bloomers" as a welcome break from the winter doldrums, even without the added bribe carrot of the free pattern.

Since the release schedule has changed, I am pushing back the retirement date of these patterns accordingly. They are still limited editions, but I will continue to offer the patterns for sale until March 2009. At that time, all seven patterns will be retired and I will begin production on the 2009 edition.

(Yeah. I know. I'm a glutton for punishment.)

I trust that all of my fans (Gosh, do i really have fans?) will understand the slight delay and accept my heartfelt apologies.

Blessings & happy knitting always!

11 comments:

Maria said...

Ooh! The darker one. It's more "christmassy". Is that a word? The other one looks like the maple tree in my yard. Actually, I'd like some of that! I'm ready to knit. My ADD has kicked in and all I want to do is start new project.

Anonymous said...

Um. What about Sherwood? I've been intrigued by the tease.

Melanie said...

All your patterns are just beautiful! I have just put them all in my queue on Ravelry..now to just find the time to knit them!

Unknown said...

I like the darker one as well. I'm enjoying your posts and quotes.

Anonymous said...

I vote for BOTH poinsettia colors! I know it's a copout, but choices are good. Some like bolder colors, other muted.

dragon knitter said...

i like the top yarn best. can't wait to see what poinsettia looks like! (so that means i'll get it, lol?). i still wanna see what sunflower t urns out like.

and you can blame me for the aperitif patterns (or at least some of them) flying outta here (the daily chum, ya know)

FiberRachel said...

Oh well, I love the second color, but the first is more Poinsettia, and more Christmassy, so I would opt for that one for the pattern. Keep the other in stock though, lovely shades!!
And don't worry, I am too much wanting to knit Sunflower to not get it once you are ready. Keep up the good work!!

FiberRachel said...

P.S. where did Oatmeal go, I loved that design!!

Anonymous said...

i love the top one best!!

SharonO said...

To me, the darker one really says Poinsettia.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! DI definitely prefer the #1/top/darker of the two options for the pattern, but the second is just as beautiful in its on right, more like an autumn tree.