women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dream On

"Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face gettin' clearer
The past is gone
It went by like dust to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if its just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away

Dream on, dream on
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream on, dream on
Dream until your dream come true
Dream on, dream on, dream on..."
- Aerosmith

So , what do you do while you work on a repetitive task like, "K1,yo,k2tog,ssk,yo;repeat?"

I daydream.

Now, some people dream of traveling to foreign lands. Some have erotic fantasies about the Chippendales. I'm boring. I dream of yarn.

Most of my ideas begin with a nudge, "Hmmm...that might be interesting..."

Which becomes a question, "What would it look like?"

Which evolves into window shopping, "Ooh, that yarn would be great..."

Which leads to financial examination, "How can my account be overdrawn? I still have checks!"

Which is resolved by acquisition, "Is the mail here yet?"

Which serves as a springboard to architectural exploration, "I'm looking for a pattern that bring out the best in the yarn and gets the idea across."

And ends with several new skeins to pet, new projects to anticipate, "I'm telling you, it's like Christmas!"

And decisions to make, "Which one next?"

I'm still waiting for the Poinsettia and Fuschia yarn. I have yet to release Zinnia or Sunflower. I am committed to finishing Drizzle and Sedona (my first garment release - a long vest) this fall.

But after that?

Dreamer...nothin but a dreamer....

Want to come along?

Northern Lights - a wavy lacy stole design in Fleece Artist's Suri Blue, color Aurora (natch!)

Strata - a brown stole in four shades of Suri Blue with a simple pattern of horizontal stripes that echo the shades of a rock or the earth if you take a vertical cross cut.












Earth








Mineral












Mahogany












Ebony



But the "piece de resistance" will be a project I call: For the Beauty of the Earth.




























A sea silk ruana in multiple colors of blue, green, purple,and brown, in a patchwork lace design, featuring lace patterns inspired by oceans, skies, flora, and fauna.

This one is still in the dreaming stage, but I can see it in my mind's eye, and that is usually the first step. I even wonder if I could donate part of the sales proceeds to the Sierra Club or other conservation organization.

It will be offered in kit form and I have spoken with vendors about that possibility.

Now I just have to save up my pennies. I'll have to buy the whole skeins.

But for now? Dreaming is cheap...

5 comments:

Cheryl, the jungian Knitter said...

On some shelves across from where I sit when I knit are cones and cones of yarn from Colourmart. And they talk to me -- one tells me it wants to be something about Eve and the serpent and another is whispering Aphrodite. I swear I haven't enough years left in my life to bring them all to fruition. And then of course there are yours -- Iris and Hydrangea -- to make. It's seduction.

Ronni said...

I like the way you dream. I've added Northern Lights to my "keep an eye on" list.

Unknown said...

For the Beauty of the Earth... one of my favorites - and your ideas fit it so beautifully.

Donna Lee said...

The patchwork lace silk sounds so good. I'm glad you have such an active imagination.

SharonO said...

I want them all! Love the colors and ideas. The ruana sounds magnificent.