women of a certain age are like sunflowers; they know how to turn their faces to the sun.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Check Your Mailbox. YOU Could Be a Grand Prize Winner!

So here, gentle readers, are more photos from lovely Leland:


Daylilies in the side yard of Tampico (a Mexican handcraft shop)...








The local literary establishment








Begonias in the window boxes of the cottage...





WE INTERRUPT THIS VACATION TO BRING YOU BREAKING NEWS!!!


THE MAIL PERSON HAS JUST BEEN SIGHTED ONE STREET OVER. WE ARE TRACKING HER WITH OUR ADVANCED SUPER-SECRET DOPPLER PONY EXPRESS RADAR...

Okay. So, guess what came in the mail today!

No, not credit card offers, college loan offers, and other sundry offers to throw money at us. (We know what you're up to - you'll want us to pay you back. Now don't deny it. We're wise to your tricks!)

Better than that...





No, not catalogues (although those lobster rolls on the cover look pretty tasty. Yummm.)

Better than that...





No, not my Interweave Knits (that came on Monday.)

Better than that...

(What could be better than that?)




Now you're just being silly. (I know THAT didn't come in the mail!)







What could it be that has me all:

A-flutter?

A-gog?

A-mazed?

Could it be...

YES!!!

It's...


TWO HUGE SKEINS OF BLACK CHERRY GOODNESS!!!

Chris has outdone herself. If I had dyed the yarn myself, I couldn't have done any better. See how the yarn ranges from a crimson down into almost purple. I don't think there is a cherry variety anywhere that isn't mirrored in this yarn. Dare I say the word, "perfection?"



I do.

PERFECTION!

So there.






And here.









And soon to be on my needles...

Right after I clean up the drool pool that formed on the floor of my studio when I photographed it.

WE NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BLOG...

In other news, I wasn't the only one who packed on the pounds while lazing at the beach and scarfing down cherry pie. Our gal Lil grew considerably in girth over the course of three weeks.

Just look at that lump...



No, not the cat...










The other lump








Yes, that's right. I'm knitting a ginormous...




1300 stitches around and still growing...




pink...







jellyfish.







And for those who keep track, I finished the back and one of the side pieces for the sand dollar pullover.











It seems like there was something else...

Oh yeah! Our contest winner. Ikkinlala! Come on down!

Her guess of 410 emails was the closest. I had 610. Most people guessed way low, although I did have one guess of 1470. (And I thought 610 was bad. YIKES!)

Thanks for playing and thanks for reading. Hope you'll keep coming back around because, as far as I'm concerned, you're all grand prize winners!

6 comments:

Opal said...

Mm. Black cherry goodness. I can't wait to see you knit it up.

I also love your pink jellyfish! I think it'll morph into something really gorgeous once off the needles.

La Cabeza Grande said...

OK. I was going to say what Opal said until I saw the rest of her comment. But I really *do* want to see your jellyfish all grown up!

And just how big are your cherry bombs anyway? They look luscious.

Rachel said...

Welcome back Susan (yeah, I know, I'm a little late to the party but I've been in the woods for 10 days and just returning to my own mass of emails!). Yours was one of the first blogs I read when I got home...nice to read your words again to put a much needed smile on my face--and am loving the cherry yarn and what you are doing with it. Yet again it's amazing how you 'relate' your yarn with your project with your idea! Good luck finishing the pattern and congrats on having an great outlet to sell it!

Donna Lee said...

Beautiful cherry yarn. The colors are amazing. What a beautiful piece that will make. Excited?

Denise said...

Aaaaaw, I wanted a kitty in the mail LOL!

The black cherry stuff is just stunning, I love those colours.

Well, *I* would have had about 1,470 emails, as I get over 70 MOSTLY SPAM emails a day, and that's AFTER my ISP has filtered most of the rubbish out... I'm glad your email load wasn't quite that bad :)

Kim said...

Just returned from vaca myself - yikes! Love the cherry yarn Chris sent - she is truly talented. Can't see what you decide to knit with it!